Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Plan.

On June 1 we went to see Dr. K. Owen wasn’t scheduled for his regular 3 month visit until June 22 but after some interesting moments and weeks, our new pediatrician called to tell him he needed to see Owen sooner.

In recent weeks, we have had numerous high temperatures (104.8 being the highest), his entire body covered in a rash that looked like hives, a patch of eczema that won’t go away, the accidental consumption of wheat and dairy, and a lot of bloody diapers.

I am tempted to believe Dr. K that we now have a plan to figure out what is going on, but I don’t want to get my hopes up.

As I have mentioned before, Owen was on Nutramigen AA (no dairy) from January 2010 through January 2011 but we took him off when things seemed to be getting better and put him on Nutramigen (does contain some dairy but it is broken down to its most elemental form). On June 1 we took four more vials of his blood. Lots of tests are being run but the one I am most immediately concerned with, is a test to determine if we need to put him back on Nutramigen AA. I should hear the results tomorrow. If we need to take a step back, I will do so in a heartbeat. Whatever is best for him, we will do. But, I would be very sad if this were the case. It is very expensive and we are fortunate to be able to afford this. It isn’t the price that makes me sad. It is the fear that he will have to drink this for the rest of his life. We shall see…

On July 11 we are meeting with an immunologist at Texas Children’s. If the immunologist cannot answer what plagues Owen, Dr. K promises to schedule Owen for an upper GI biopsy, colonoscopy, and liver biopsy. I am praying that we have answers by August 13 (the year anniversary from when we starting seeing Dr. K).

No comments:

Post a Comment